sábado, 27 de março de 2010

The most common words in English

age - The age of my daughter is three.
air - The air is quite clear today.
anger - His anger knows no limits.
animal -I'm not sure of the name of that animal over there in that cage.
answer -He provided an excellent answer to my question.
apple - I love a good red apple after dinner.
area - This area is intended for recreation
arm - He put his arm out for inspection.
art - It would be difficult to live without art.
atom - One of the smallest elements is the atom.
baby - She put her baby into its crib.
back - I turned my back on that outrageous man.
ball - He hit the ball out of the park.
band - The band played until three in the morning.
bank - The bank closes at three in the afternoon.
bar - Let's go to the bar and get a beer.
base - He works at the base on the otherside of town.
bat - If you look up there you can see a bat flying between the trees.
bear - The bear is a dangerous but playful animal.
beauty -The countryside is splendid in its beauty.
bell - He rang the bell to signal the end of class.
bird - Do you know the name of that bird on that branch?
bit - Could you hand me that bit for this drill?
block - He picked up the block of wood and began to work on it.
blood - Look at the blood on the floor! What's happened?
blow - He received a mighty blow from his opponent in the boxing match.
board - Use that board over there to cover up the window.
boat - He bought a new boat for his birthday.
body - He left the body at the side of the road.
bone - I found a prehistoric bone in the desert.
book - You should read this book!
bottom -You will find the coin at the bottom of the lake.
box - I put the extra clothes into that box.
boy - Do you see that boy over there?
branch -There is a bird on that branch.
bread - Could you get some bread when you go to the supermarket?
break - I'll take a five minute break and then get back to work.
brother -My brother lives in Seattle.
call - Give me a call when you arrive.
camp - I set up camp at the edge of the wood.
capital-The capital of Washington state is Olympia.
captain-The captain told his crew to raise the sail.
car - He drove his car very fast.
card - Let me give you my business card.
care - She received excellent care at the hospital.
case - You will find the bottle of wine in that case over there.
cat - My cat is four years old.
cause - I'm sure his lack of understanding was the cause of his failure.
cell - The cell is one of nature's wonders.
cent - If I had every cent I have wasted I would be a very rich man indeed.
century -Last century was at times horrific and at times marvelous.
chair - Let me get a chair and sit down.
chance -If you just give him a chance you will see how capable he really is.
change -I need a change in my life!
character-Her character can be very frustrating at times.
chick -He picked up the little chick that had just been born.
chief - Just a moment, I need to speak to the chief.
child - He gave the child a dime.
children -We have five children!
chord - The pianist played the marvelous chord.
circle -Draw a circle on a piece of paper and write your ideas in it.
city - Life in a city can be both wonderful and frustrating.
class - He came to class late.
climb - The climb to the top of the peak was challenging.
clock - We need a new clock for the livingroom.
cloud - The cloud appeared on the horizon and I knew it would rain soon.
coast - Let's go to the coast for the weekend.
coat - It's cold outside! Make sure to put your coat on.
cold - The cold in this room is unbearable.
colony -The British established the colony in 1876.
color - That is it's true color!
column -I read his latest column in the New York Times.
company -He's worked for that company for over five years.
condition - Has his condition improved?
consonant - That is a consonant that you don't have in your language.
continent - She lives on a different continent.
copy - Can you give me a copy of that report?
corn - This corn is so sweet! Where did you get it?
cost - You can buy a used car at a low cost.
cotton - Cotton is used to make many different types of clothes.
country - He lives in a country where free speech is not allowed.
course - I'm taking a computer course at the local college.
cover - The cover of this week's issue is really shocking.
cow - He has a cow that he milks every day.
crop - This year's crop was excellent.
cross - He hang a cross over his desk.
crowd - That crowd went wild at his last statement.
cry - Her cry could be heard above the crowd.
current - The current is really strong in that river.
cut - How did you get that cut?
dad - I visited my dad last week.
dance - Would you like to go to the dance with me this Saturday?
danger - There is great danger in those woods.
day - What a great day!
dead - Many people belive the dead come back to haunt.
deal - I made a deal with Smith's.
death - His death disturbed her greatly.
decimal - The decimal was 5/6.
degree - He will soon receive his degree.
design - Her design won the best project of the year award.
dictionary - Look that up in the dictionary if you don't understand.
division - I work in the sales division.
doctor - You'd better see a doctor about that cough.
dog - My daughter would love to have a dog.
dollar - He paid top dollar for that car.
door - Let me open the door for you.
double - He was Clint Eastwood's double.
draw - I lost the draw and so I have to go last.
dream - She same him clearly in her dream last night.
dress - She wore that pretty blue dress to the party.
drink - Would you like a drink? - Maybe a gin and tonic?
drive - The drive up to the canyon was beautiful.
drop - The drop was almost 500 meters straight down!
duck - Do you see that cute duck swimming over there?
ear - Lend me an ear and I will tell you an interesting story.
earth - He moved about two tons of earth this weekend.
ease - The ease with which he plays tennis shows how often he plays.
east - The east will always be different from the west.
edge - Be careful! Don't get too close to the edge!
effect - We still don't know the long term effect his actions will have.
egg - Would you like your egg boiled or fried?
eight - There are eight in the room.
element - One important element is hard study.
end - We are nearing the end of the journey.
enemy - His enemy Jed attacked him.
energy - She has so much energy! Just think of all the different things she does.

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário